Friday, September 20, 2013

Google makes Quickoffice mobile app free for everyone

During my undergraduate career, I dragged my Dell laptop to and from classes, work, and library study sessions. As a result, my laptop is pretty banged up. For being three years old, it's in decent shape, but when I graduated, I received an iPad from my mom as a gift. I've been primarily using my iPad for all the work I do.

I have always used Google Drive on my iPad when I needed to typeset for work or type up an assignment for school. As much as I like it, I have always found Microsoft Word more efficient for typing up long assignments. I had no idea that a product like Quickoffice existed, but I'm so happy I found it.

Quickoffice is a product from Google that allows you to "view and edit Microsoft Office files," according to the article. Up until very recently, the app was only available for free for Google Apps and Business users. The app cost $14.99 for people outside of that network. Now, however, Google is offering the app for free. Users across the board now have the option to work on their Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents wherever they are. The product also works with Google Drive. I downloaded the app, and when I logged in with my Gmail account, it pulled up all of my existing Google Drive documents! You still have to use the Google Drive app to edit those documents, but you can view them.

This app is wonderful for all kinds of people; it's great for students who don't want to drag around a flash drive or laptop or email everything to themselves, and it's great for businesses that use Microsoft products for their work. It's also an efficient product because it's effectively its own backup system. I always worry about the stability of my laptop, but by putting my important papers and documents into Quickoffice/Google Drive, I am able to rest assured that my work will be safe.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the app. I'm excited to know that I can use it to work on my papers throughout the semester, especially when I'm on the go. The one thing I'm hoping, though, is that Google combines Google Drive and Quickoffice; as of right now, the Quickoffice app can only open Google Drive apps, not edit them, and vice versa. But for the moment, this app is incredibly efficent and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment